Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Top 20 Most-Viewed "Nostalgia Duck" Uploads on YouTube

 Some of you may already know by now, I have 2 YouTube channels.  One of them (Stuffed Duck Productions) focuses on videos that I've had a hand in making, from sketches to video games among other things.  The other (Nostalgia Duck) is an archive of videos that I didn't make, but most people (at least in NZ) should know about them as they all come from TV.  Particularly the commercial breaks.

I've been uploading classic NZ TV commercials (more specifically, ads that ended up on NZ screens but were not necessarily made here) since 2011.  So, right now there is more than a decade's worth of uploads.  I don't post videos on a regular basis like most YT channels, however, and there are some long breaks in between batches, but there is still a lot that I've shared.  Quite often uploading a huge batch within days (or even hours) of each other when I do.

As I was going through my statistics, I was curious how many views some videos now have (as of 16 August 2022).  I then wondered what the most-viewed video overall was, leading to an idea for this blog entry...

Today, I would like to share with you the Top 20 Most-Viewed "Nostalgia Duck" Uploads on YouTube.  I will be counting down from 20.  The title and the total views, as well as the videos themselves embedded in the list below.  So, without further delay, here's the Top 20 list:

 

#20 - "Fresh Up" (Marc Ellis & Matthew Ridge)

Views: 9,546.

"What's the name of this creek again?"


#19 - "TV2 Ident" (circa 2000)

Views: 9,763.

 
"You'll only wanna be with 2."
 

#18 - "Hudson Toffee Pops" (circa 1992)

Views: 9,759.

 

I always wanted a couch like the one in this ad...but not one that could eat me.


#17 - "Lotto - The Name of Our Game" (circa 1995)

Views: 9,885.

 

New Zealand's Saturday evening earworm.


#16 - "Chesdale Cheese - The Reunion" (circa 90's)

Views: 10,024.

 
Ches and Dale have a singalong.  Also introducing Little Ches.
 
 

#15 - "Smokefree Rally New Zealand 1997"

Views: 10,314.

 

"Aww, check it out.  Two moons!"


#14 - "Cleopatra Soap" (circa early 90's)

Views: 12,248.

"Sensual as a perfume."
 

#13 - "Sunraysia Cranberry Juice"

Views: 13,253.


"Where's the cranny, Granny?"

 

#12 - "Cadbury Take 5"

Views: 14,570.

One of many Cadbury products that are yet to make a comeback.
 

#11 - "Timotei Shampoo" (circa 1997)

Views: 15,769.


Every shampoo ad is Timotei, according to my friend, Gary.

 

And now for the Top 10...

 

#10 - "Commodore Amiga 500" (Full Promo)

Views: 16,243.


Before uploading this one, the only version available was a heavily edited one to suit YouTube's now defunct 10-minute limitation on videos.  I was the first one to upload the full near 15-minute promo for the classic computer, so it's no wonder it has so many views.

 

#9 - "Energizer Batteries" (Space)

Views: 17,849.


"Hey!  What took you so long?"

 

#8 - "Codral Cold & Flu" (Soldier On)

Views: 18,020.


Another earworm for you.  I uploaded this within the last couple of years, so it's no wonder it caught some attention in the comments section, considering what the world's been going through since 2020.

 

#7 - "Telethon NZ" (Thank You Very Much For Your Kind Donation)

Views: 18,720.


"Thank you very much.  Thank you very, very, very much."

 

#6 - "Raid Odourless Low Allergenic"

Views: 21,757.


 

#5 - "Duracell Bunny - Boxing" (circa 1995)

Views: 23,810.


 

#4 - "Whiskas Vita-Bites" (Bungee Jump)

Views: 24,696.

 

 

#3 - "TV3 - Clear & NZ on Air " (circa 1995)

Views: 43,931.


 

#2 - "Lux Body Wash"

Views: 76,060.


For what it's worth, I deliberately chose this screenshot as the thumbnail to grab attention.  Judging by the number of views, it worked.

 

 And the most viewed Nostalgia Duck upload is...

 

#1 - "Whiskas Vita-Bites" (Dancing)

Views: 307,044.

 

 This one actually surprised me.  I did not expect this to be my most viewed video, especially the huge jump in numbers between this and the #2 video.  I guess people love dancing CGI mice.

 

Reminder: All info in this blog entry is based on data collected on 16 August 2022.

The data will have changed after a long space of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment