Search This Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Joy to the World, I Found That Song

Hello.  Long time since my last blog entry.  Yada, yada, yada.  Let's get into it.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you, in your adult life, remembered a song from your childhood, but couldn't remember the name of the artist/song, and when you try to describe it to someone (in some cases even trying to sing it with no lyrical reference to guide you), only to have them look at you funny?  If you answered no, you're wrong.  At least once in our lives, we'll encounter this problem.

For me it was the case of a song that shared its title with (at least) 2 completely different tracks.  In other words, there were 3 different songs with the same name as each other.  When I mention the song "Joy to the World", which one comes to mind?

Song #1:  Would it be the Christmas carol?


Song #2:  Could it be the 1971 rock classic by Three Dog Night (a.k.a. "Jeremiah was a bullfrog")?


Chances are, you've all heard both of these completely different songs called "Joy to the World" in your lifetime (if not, play the embedded videos above).  But for me, I grew up with the knowledge of a third and more obscure song of the same name, and for decades it would plague my mind, sometimes in the form of an earworm, pestering me as if to say, "Go on then, Music Man!  Who sings me?"

When this happens, after having it go on for so many years, you sometimes wonder if you're going crazy.  "Did that song even exist?"  "Is it a song I subconsciously wrote in my head without realising?"  For me though, I knew for sure that I didn't write it in my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone I described it to was thinking that about me instead.

Jump to a few months ago.  I was yet again randomly thinking about this third "Joy to the World" I was trying to identify.  As I sat there pondering how it sounded, I got to thinking about who the singer sounded like.  Something I probably should've done in the first place, because moments later it dawned on me...  "Hmm...he kind of sounds a lot like the guy who sings "Poetry in Motion"...  Off to Google I go!"

It was here where I would finally crack the case.  The ever so evasive version of "Joy to the World" is in fact by none other than Johnny Tillotson!



Finally, I can sleep at night!

I'm curious.  What are some of the songs YOU have tried to identify?  Feel free to comment on this.  Also, if you're currently struggling with this issue with another song, you're welcome to ask me about it.  I may be able to help.  You won't know until you ask. 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment